Mom had her first airplane witnessing encounter!
She was thinking on the plane for a way to be a way to talk to the lady next to her about the gospel. I told her that since people talk about where they’re from, where they’re going, plans they have, stuff about life and family, that she’d be able to say that she does graphic designing for Christian materials, and be able to give a tract to the person she spoke to. Well….she said she planned to do just that. I told her it was very easy to do, and it flowed in the course of a regular conversation.
Cindy sat between her husband and my mom on the plane. Dad was in a different seating area, as they couldn’t get seats next to each other. I think in the future this is a good idea for Christians. Divide and conquer! Lol.
Mom was able to talk to them about an hour before the flight. They had to fill out the customs form when on the plane they got to Hawaii. She wanted to chat with the wife, and so she asked the husband if she was filling out a portion of the form correctly. He showed her what she needed to know and thanked him. A few minutes later the guy said something to her, and then his wife Cindy started talking to mom. The wife switched seats with her husband so mom and her could talk for a little bit. Cindy and mom talked about where they were from, ancestry; which turns out to be almost the same. How they had never been to this island, they talked about what they did. By doing this, mom got a chance (which she hoped to do) to slip in there that she does graphic art work for me on Christian websites and tracts. She wanted to bring up the gospel so she shared this with the lady. Cindy asked what kind of software she uses. Mom says its old software and she has no training for graphic art work or animation, but enjoys doing it. Cindy said her mother also does graphic art, but has training from college for it, and it's her full time job. This is neat that God set THIS lady next to my mom! So Mom was able to discuss some of those things with her, and then learned that Cindy and her husband go to church. Mom doesn’t know if they are saved, but she was able to give Cindy one of my gospel tracts and encouraged Cindy to check out the website as well. She also offered for Cindy to contact her to talk in the future. So we’ll see how that goes.
Cindy’s husband joined the conversation and they talked about snorkeling and stuff. Mom shared some things about locations in the area that are good (and bad) spots, that we knew from last year’s experience. She told them there are new things on the island that she learned about as well; Some things aren’t there anymore, some cost a lot now, and others have changed. Mom told him she always checks things like that online so she knows ahead of time when they return to places they like to travel what they can and can’t do this time.
When mom left the plane, she left tracts on a couple of seats for passengers getting off or the flight staff to get.
I was so proud of her for doing her best to share the gospel. Mom is very shy around strangers, but is outgoing around family. This was a real step of faith for her. Last year in Hawaii I was able to get her and my dad to go street evangelizing with some Christians I know who witness in Kona every week. We all went out and even my young nephew was participating by handing out tracts. She was shut down a few times during that afternoon, and we shared that information in the Hawaii post (click here to read). She also has spoken to people at her small church whenever witnessing conversations comes up in Sunday School, and she has offered really good tips that encouraged the ones she spoke to. I first shared biblical evangelism material with her at Christmas 2005, and after reading the information and watching videos about it she agreed it was the real gospel, and stopped using modern evangelism methods and materials that are not biblical. She tracted places but not people. Then after a few visits (a yearly thing) when we went as a family to Los Vegas, for vacation at their time share, I was finally able to get them to go out one early evening and hand out tracts near a popular tourist attraction on the strip. Since then she hasn’t gone out, until last year in Hawaii. She does tract regularly wherever she goes, but this was the first time she talked to someone on an airplane about the gospel. She has beat me on that one! Haha. Well, it has never worked out for me to be able to do that; circumstances and the people around me on the planes have prevented it. Though, on hindsight….I could have done like Kirk Cameron and tracted the whole plane on the way to my seat. Perhaps I’ll do that next time I fly somewhere. I rarely fly anywhere, but I’ll have to keep it in mind next time I do!
So I’m exited that she did this, and hopeful that she’ll try for a gospel conversation on the return flight home.
Note: You don’t have to follow a specific method to sharing the gospel. What you include in the gospel is important, but how you get to the gospel conversation can vary. You simply have a conversation and swing naturally from the conversation to spiritual things. This is another example of that. For more examples, read more of the blogs here.
.